As much as we like to pump up the AC during the hot summer days to come, you can cool down in a variety of ways that feel good and lessen your impact on the environment. Here are some things to try:
- Keep the windows closed during the day to keep out the heat, but open them at night to let in cool air.
- Wear white or light colors to reflect sunlight and consider using white window shades or mini-blinds to reduce solar heat gain.
- Take showers or baths during the cooler times of day so you don’t spend as much time in the water.
- Keep lights off as much as possible and use candles at night. It can be nice and freshening.
- When you’re not home, shut off as many electric appliances as possible. They’re probably generating a lot of heat.
- Get rid of incandescent lights. They use more energy, but also generate lots of heat as compared to fluorescent or LED light bulbs.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated and replenish your body with cool water on days like this.
- Plant a tree if you can. They can provide ample shade for your home.
- Picnic in the back yard or hang outside in the evening with family, friends, or a good book.
- And finally, get wet! A swim is sure to cool you down.
Have a great summer!