Hey everyone! When you guys pick up an apple or carrot do you think about the possibility of it being contaminated with pesticides? Well, of course not! My first thought is how delicious this fruit or vegetable is going to taste going down into my stomach, but many of these foods have been sprayed with pesticides.
A pesticide is any substance that is meant to kill, repel, or control certain types of plant and animal life. Pesticides are sprayed on many crops such as fruits and vegetables while they are in the ground to help protect them from different insects that might try to harm them. They also prevent the growth of mold or mildew on the plant.
Pesticides can contribute to air pollution, known as “pesticide drift”, this is when the particles get picked up by the wind and carried to contaminate other areas. Pesticides have been linked to certain health issues, from headaches all the way to diseases such as cancer. They can really hurt agricultural land because they harm insect species, the soil, microorganisms and worms.
Now the modern pesticides that are used are less harmful, but still can be very harmful in large doses. These pesticides have been approved by the FDA and are proven to be more effective than the old ones. They are also designed to degrade into the soil to avoid leaching into soil, where they could get attached to the crops. The overall best option, in my opinion, is to try to eat organically grown fruits and vegetables!